Watching the highly controversial film by Micheal Moore, Capitalism: A Love Story, I definitely felt that he expressed many thoughts young people may have today. He effectively explained some of the issues that a lot of Americans are currently facing. His explanations were great at simplifying the intricate conflicts our economy is facing. While currently taking an economics class at GCC, I have been able to look at how our free enterprise economy is doing. Theoretically, it's a great system for everyone, but what we read in textbooks and the examples that our economy has been run by are not real life. The issues are much too complex to be summed up to a simple supply and demand factor. People need regulations that are meant to look out for everyone and not just corporate businesses. A great line from the movie stated that everyone had "bought" into the "American Dream." That definitely hit home for me, especially now that I look around at the price of housing while considering wages of most of the population. It makes you wonder, is this really achievable? As a freshman in college looking around my options definitely seem limited. I have to think twice about if I'm really going to spend $53,000 dollars on one year of tuition alone (not including books or anything else that'll be required). A lifetime commitment all in the name of the American Dream, or will I drop out and begin my journey earning $10 per hour (which is above minimum wage) and working overtime without the possibility of independently owning my own home. I'm not trying to say nobody can make it in America without all the strings attached but it definitely doesn't seem that there are opportunities for the average joe left and right. The lack of abundance when it comes to "success" in our current economic system is a problem. A problem that needs to be addressed by the country as a whole and that citizens need to be aware of and know how to handle.

Mirna--I don't know why you don't have more comments on your blog because it is really good. You have great new entries. Interesting and thoughtful topics and even more thoughtful discussion of those topics. Great visual appeal and support. Keep it up!
ReplyDelete