There are many different types of blogs. While I am not new to the internet, I am definitely unfamiliar with the world of blogging. I have known of and about blogs for a long time, and have visited a few here and there to gain a quick bit of knowledge, but I have never actually taken the time to subscribe and follow one. I feel like blogs are a valuable source of information because they put readers at ease due to their informal style of writing. (I certainly felt this way when skimming through some of the examples listed.) There are times where I would rather read a quick step-by-step tutorial on how to set up a website, instead of taking the time to read through a 200+ page book on "HTML for Dummies". It's like sitting and talking to a friend rather than sitting and talking to a lawyer. Although, I'm certain there are times when it is absolutely necessary to sit and talk with a lawyer to gain every bit of information possible. While some blogs are more professional than others, the choice is solely up to you. You can choose to read through heaps and piles of Huffington Post's political news entries, or you can follow Bob's picture-heavy blog and his trek through Cambodia. Whether you're reading a blog to better yourself, or reading a blog to waste time- blogs are an essential part of the internet, and a very versatile tool at one's disposal.
I went through ebizmba.com's "Top 15 Blogs as of April 2016" and came across a handful of blogs that caught my attention, and a few that made me question humanity.
These rankings are "derived from our eBizMBA Rank which is a continually updated average of each website's Alexa Global Traffic Rank, and U.S. Traffic Rank from both Compete and Quantcast."
And according to Alexa.com, "The sites in the top sites lists are ordered by their 1 month alexa traffic. The 1-month rank is calculated using a combination of average daily visitors and pageviews over the past month. The site with the highest combination of visitors and pageviews is ranked #1."
The good, the bad, & the ugly
Let's start off with the ugly so we can end our post on a good note
PerezHilton.com (ranked #10)- The ugly
According to commonsensemedia.org, Perezhilton.com is the "Most notorious, uncensored, celebrity gossip site."
The blog rakes in a total of 14.5 million unique views per month, and is filled with irrelevant information. Fashion trends and everything celebrity are what Perezhilton is all about.
Headlines like,
"Denver Broncos' Emmanuel Sanders & Gabriella Waheed Look White Hot At The iHeartRadio Music Awards!"
litter the blog from top to bottom.
I could care less about how celebrities look at an award show... The blog makes remarks about people and their appearances, personal decisions, and lives in general, sometimes without an ounce of respect.
Some posts made me chuckle, like the one shown above, but most of the content seems too immature for my taste, like the one shown above.
You know there's something odd about a blog when their main tabs consist of
Moving on..
TMZ (#2) - The bad
The famous saying, "sex sells" proves to be correct with TMZ as a prime example.
The website doesn't hesitate to sexualize women (what's new) and men and shows no shame in doing so either.
The website doesn't hesitate to sexualize women (what's new) and men and shows no shame in doing so either.
2 of 3 of the 'Most Popular' posts depicting scantily clad celebrities
Almost the same as PerezHilton, but seems to have more 'scandalous celebrity' news than fashion trends. Don't get me wrong, TMZ isn't completely filled with half-naked celebrities, but around every corner you're sure to find one.
Mashable (#4) - The good (also seemed to restore my faith in humanity)
Has a little bit of everything, even some celebrity gossip (if that's your cup of tea) without the over-sexualized imagery, in a very organized format.
Has a little bit of everything, even some celebrity gossip (if that's your cup of tea) without the over-sexualized imagery, in a very organized format.
Mashable covers a ton of fresh, relevant content, and won't have you wasting valuable minutes of your life reading about the Kardashians (sorry if I have offended you if that's what you like to do). The blog is definitely enough to spark some interest and you will most likely come away learning a thing or two.
BONUS
Notice anything?
They all look the same! Same format, same ads, but upon closer inspection the articles are indeed different, and stay relevant to the site they belong to.
It turns out that Gizmodo (ranked #5), Lifehacker (#6), Jezebel (#13), and Kotaku (#15) are all blogs under the parent company Gawker Media (#7)
I wonder how much money I could make if I just copied and pasted 6 different catchy names at the top of a bunch of articles.
![]() |
| "Business Insider has valued the company at $250 million based upon its 2014 revenue" |











No comments:
Post a Comment