Monday, April 18, 2016

Entry #6 - Phone for thought

Today I had a very interesting conversation with my boyfriend about becoming "someone" in life. Yes, we've all heard the cliche sayings like "The world is yours" or "you can do anything you set your mind to" and these are all true, to a point. There are so many things in life that one can achieve.  So much to see, so much to experience, so much to become, a plethora of every emotion around every corner. But what if one just wants to be lazy? Lol. Really though. Maybe not lazy, but why can't people just take life at their own pace? Reading that question back out loud sounds really dumb, I know. (Because you CAN take life at your own pace) But I feel like society thrusts so many people into so many things and at the end of the day so much is expected.



Do I think this way just because I am an American? I'm sure that has a great impact on me and how I view the world. I just feel like I'm being rushed into something that I'm not.

Do you guys feel the same way or is it just me being paranoid? I mean, I'm glad I can see outside of the box, but still I find it very bothersome. I know that sometimes you just need to take a step back, and take a breather.
I asked my boyfriend what he thinks and he agreed. "I think it definitely is because of our American lifestyle. Everything we see on the media, all that our parents and different parents alike have instilled in us and their children. We live in the city, and I'm sure that also has an impact. I'm sure people on the countryside view life differently." He also added, "if I could move away from the hustle and bustle of this American life, I'd be more than happy. I'd be at peace."



I realized that there really is no rush, but even still I still feel like there is! I feel like it's just a big race to build your resume, and become someone important. I'm currently studying to become a pharmacist, but what if that changes? I guess I just need to learn how to better regulate my thoughts and feelings.
My boyfriend has always told me, "everything is going to be alright" but IS IT?!?! Lol. I'm sorry guys. I'm just in a sort of agitated, pondering mood tonight.

BUT, I wanted to futher elaborate the being lazy thing. I feel like all the technological advancements we interact with everyday make us lazy! 

Think about it- 50 years ago, if someone needed more information on a certain topic, they had to get up and find it. Nowadays you pull your phone out of your pocket, google astrophysics, and wa-la you're now a self-proclaimed Neil deGrasse Tyson... all while laying in bed! Not really, but just the fact that you can research anything you wanted with a few certain movements of your fingers is... terrifying. Don't get me wrong it's amazing, but it takes the LIFE factor out of things. Back in the day you had to physically get up, take yourself to the library, find what you're looking for, flip pages in an encyclopedia, read, and walk back. But you're already at the library so you might as well go the extra mile! Do you see where I'm trying to go with this? Just the fact that you had to do all the extra work makes you active and more prone to... achieving?



Don't get me wrong- you can do everything you could back then today, if not easier and more efficiently, but do you want to? Someone has already done it! What else is left to do? Why do I feel this way? All that I can point my fingers to is technology..

All I've gotta say is- Remember, you can do anything you want in this life. I guess I'll just go back to being lazy.



/endrant


No comments:

Post a Comment